1) A suspension of rust in water turns __________litmus ____________.
2)In general, metallic oxides are ___________ in nature whereas oxides of non metals are _________ in nature.
5) Metals react with acids to produce___________ gas which burns with a __________ sound.
7) The elements which possess character of both metals and non metals are called __________.
- Rust is chemically Fe2O3. XH2O, where X are the number of water molecules. We know that metals generally form oxides that are basic in nature. Hence a suspension of rust in water will be basic. Therefore it will turn red litmus blue.
- In general metal oxides are basic in nature where as oxides of non-metals are acidic in nature.
- Metals react with acids to produce hydrogen gas that burns with a pop sound.
- The elements which possess character of both metals and non metals are called metalloids.
Q 7) Zinc is more reactive than copper. For the same reason, it is placed above copper in the reactivity series. Hence, when zinc granules are placed in copper sulphate solution, it will displace copper from its salt. Thus zinc sulphate will be formed and copper metal will be deposited at the bottom of solution. The blue colour of the solution will also fade away as copper is displaced from its salt. The following reaction occurs
Zn(s) + CuSO4 (aq) ------------> ZnSO4 (aq) + Cu(s)
Q 8) Copper is less reactive than zinc. Hence it will not be able to displace zinc from its salt. Therefore when copper turning are kept in zinc-sulphate solution for sometime, we find that there is no change as zinc is not displaced from its salt and hence no reaction occurs.