1)Difference between detritus food chain (DFC) and grazing food chain (GFC)?
2)Represent detritus food chain by ray diagram ?
In detritus food chain, the first trophic level is the dead and decaying organic matter.
Primary consumers form the next trophic level,they are 'detritivores' including protozoans, bacteria, fungi, etc which feed upon the detritus.
The grazing food chain includes the producers i.e green plants at first trophic level which is further consumed by primary consumers i.e herbivores. These herbivores form the next trophic level.
Detritus→ Bacteria/ Fungi (Detrivores) → plants (consume nutrients release by detrivores in soil) → Herbivore → Carnivore
Grazing food chain
Detritus food chain
1. It always starts from green plants to tertiary consumer level.
2. Green plant is the first organism to absorb solar energy.
3. They do not help in nutrient cycle.
4. Generally large organism maintains this type of food chain.
1. It always starts from detrivores.
2. Bacteria, fungi are the first one.
3. There is an involvement of nutrient cycle.
4. Generally, small organism maintains this type of food chain.
example of detritus food chain