describe briefly the the outbreak of the revolt of 1857
- Subsidary Alliance, Doctrine of Lapse, High taxes on Indians and other arbitrary policies of the British angered the Indians.
- They constantly thought of revolting against the British but could not due to their fear.
- The hanging of Indian Sepoy, Mangal Pandey sparked the revolt.
- The Indian sepoys in Meerut, marched to the jail in Meerut and freed the imprisoned sepoys.They attacked and killed many British officiers and soldiers, captured guns and ammunition and set fire to buildings and property of British.
- The revolt soon spread in cities like Delhi, Bareily, Kanpur, Jhansi, Lucknow.
- The sepoys persuaded Mughal Emeror Bahadur Shah Zafar to become leader of the revolt.
- The revolt was supported by many other Indian rulers like-Begum Hazrat Mahal, Rani Lakshmi Bai, Nana Saheb & Tantia Tope.
- The British were Outnumbered and defeated in many battles. These defeats convinced many other people to join the revolt.
a) The revolt of 1857 was the largest armed resistance to colonialism anywhere in the world in the 19th century.
b) This revolt is also known as the first war of independence.