explain any five anti poverty measure taken by government
Following are some of the policies by the Indian government for poverty alleviation:
Swarnajayanti Gram Swarojgar Yojana (SGSY) is an initiative launched by the Government of India to provide employment to poor people living in rural areas of the country. The scheme was launched on April 1, 1999.The SGSY aims at providing self-employment to villagers through the establishment of Self-help groups. Activity clusters are established based on the aptitude and skill of the people which are nurtured to their maximum potential. Funds are provided by NGOs , banks and financial institutions.
Antayodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) :
- It was launched in december 2000.
- Under this scheme one crore of poorest among BPL families covered under targeted PDS were identified.
- Poor families were identified by respective state rural developmewnt departments through BPL survey.
- 25 kg of food grains were made available to each eligible family at high subsidized rate of Rs 2 per kg for wheat and Rs 3 per kg for rice.
National Food for Work Programme :
- It was launched on november 14, 2004 in 150 most backward districts of country with objective of intensifying generation of supplementary wage employment.
- The programme is open to all rural poor who are in need of wage employment and desire to do manual unskilled work.
- It is implemented as a 100 % centrally sponsered scheme and foodgrains are provided free of cost.
- Annapurna Scheme: The Ministry of Rural Development launched the scheme in 2000-2001. Indigent senior citizens or 65 years of age or above who though eligible for old age pension under the National Old Age Pension Scheme (NOAPS) but are not getting the pension are covered under the Scheme. 10 kgs. of foodgrains per person per month are supplied free of cost under the scheme.
- MGNREGA-The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act aims at enhancing the livelihood security of people in rural areas by guaranteeing hundred days of wage-employment in a financial year to a rural household whose adult members volunteer to do unskilled manual work
PRIME MINISTER 's ROJGAR YOJANA(PMRY)
PMRY or Prime Minister 's Rojgar Yojana is an employment scheme launched on 2nd October, 1993 , designed to create and provide sustainable self-employment opportunities to one million educated unemployed youth in the country during the 8th Plan Period. Its main features are:
- It is open to any unemployed youth residing in urban or rural area fulfilling the disability conditions for assistance
- Preference would be given to weaker section including women.
- The entrepreneurs are required to deposit 5 per cent of the project cost, the remaining 95 per cent being taken care by sanctioned as composite loan