Explain the difference between challenge of expansion and the challenge of deepening of democracy with an example.
- Challenge of expansion refers to the horizontal expansion of democratic process through installation of democratic institutions.
- Challenges of deepening refers to the vertical expansion of democratic processes where the institutions are given more powers through local self governments.
challenge of expansion : most of the established democracies like India and USA face this challenge. This involves:
- applying basic principle of democracy across all religions, different social groups and various institutions.
- providing more powers to state and local govt.
- inclusion of women and other minorities in the decision making
- minimising decisions which should remain outside the arena of democratic control.
Challenge pf deepening of democracy: This challenge is faced by every democracy in one or other form. This includes:
- Strengthening political parties that promote democracy
- to bring down the control of rich and powerful in the govt.
- to provide more powers to local govt.