give reason why Mendel selected Garden pea for his experiments give the biological name of this plant state the mendel's principle of segregation
i) Mendel had chosen garden pea for his experiment because
- It is easily to grow.
- It grows in almost all environment.
- It has very short life cycle and gets completed in one season.
- The hybrids are equally fertile.
- The plant is sexually reproduced.
- Self fertilization and self pollination can be done easily.
- The petals of pea flower is so constricted that pollens from foreign plant cannot enter inside for fertilization.
The other characters for which Garden pea was selected beacuse:
The seven pair of contrasting characters (opposite characters) observed my Mendel are as follows:
ii) The scientific name of pea is Pisum sativum
iii) Law of Segregation -
1. This law states that the two alleles of a pair segregate or separate during gamete formation such that a gamete receives only one of the two factors.
2. In homozygous parents, all gametes produced are similar; while in heterozygous parents, two kinds of gametes are produced in equal proportions.
Hope this information will clear your doubts about the topic.
If you have any more doubts just ask here on the forum and our experts will try to help you out as soon as possible.