please give points on fluid mosaic model !
Here are some important points regarding the fluid mosaic model of the plasma membrane-
The structure of plasma membrane was proposed by Singer and Nicolson in 1972. It is widely accepted as fluid mosaic model. According to this model-
- Cell membrane is composed of a lipid bilayer, with a polar head towards the outer side, and hydrophobic tails towards the inner side. So, the non-polar, hydrophobic tail is protected from aqueous environment.
- Proteins and carbohydrates are also present in the membrane.
- Membrane proteins can be integral (lying buried in the membrane) or peripheral (lying on the surface of the membrane).
- Fluid mosaic model shows the quasi-fluid nature of lipids enables lateral movement of proteins within the bilayer.
- Fluidity is the measure of the ability of the membrane to allow movement within itself.
- Fluid nature of the membrane is important for cell division, cell growth, the formation of intercellular junctions, secretion and endocytosis.
@Pratishtha: Good work! Keep it up.
A model conceived by S.J. Singer and Garth Nicolson in 1972 to describe the structural features of biological membranes.
According to the fluid mosaic model, our cell membrane is a double membrane of phospho lipid molecules. Proteins are embedded in this layer. Cholesterol is also an important compone of this membrane.
i know this much only... :D