Please Meritnation expert provide me a mind map on "glycocalyx" and also provide the detail about glycocalyx......
Sugar coat surrounding the cell wall of bacterium or bacterial cells is known as glycocalyx.
The various functions of glycocalyx of a cell are -
1. cell recognition (process in which a cell recognizes or identifies its environment),
2. cell adhesion (The binding of a cell to another cell),
3. protection and permeability barrier (restrict entry of substance inside the cell).
4. Glycocalyx can help protect bacteria from phagocytes.
5. It also helps in the formation of biofilms such as a coating on inert surfaces such as teeth or rocks.