structure and function of heart?????//
Flow of blood in the human heart
- The heart has superior and inferior vena cava. They carry deoxygenated blood from the upper and lower regions of the body respectively and supply the deoxygenated blood to the right auricle of the heart.
- The right auricle contracts and passes the deoxygenated blood to the right ventricle, through an auriculo-ventricular aperture (tricuspid valve).
- The right ventricle contracts and passes the deoxygenated blood into the two pulmonary arteries, which pumps it to the lungs where the blood is oxygenated. From the lungs, the pulmonary veins transport the oxygenated blood to the left atrium of the heart.
- The left atrium contracts and through the auriculo-ventricular aperture (bicuspid valve), the oxygenated blood enters the left ventricle.
- The blood passes to aorta from the left ventricle. The aorta gives rise to many arteries that distribute the oxygenated blood to all the regions of the body. Since the blood goes twice through the heart, it is known asdouble circulation.
The important functions of heart are :
1.Pumping of blood
2.Transport of food to cells
3.Transport of oxygen to cells
4.Transport of carbon dioxide to lungs.