what are the limitations of dalton's atomic theory?
Drawbacks of Dalton's Atomic Theory:
1. The atom is further subdivided into protons, neutrons and electrons.
2. The atoms of same elements are not similar in all respect. They may vary in mass and density. These are known as isotopes. For example: chlorine has two isotopes having mass numbers 35 a.m.u and 37 a.m.u.
3. Atoms of different elements are not different in all respects. Atoms of different elements that have the same atomic mass are called isobar.
4. According to Dalton atoms of different elements combine in simple whole number ratio to form compounds. This is not seen in complex organic compounds like sugar C12H22O11.
5. The theory fails to explain the existence of allotropes.
atoms can be divided
this theory fails to explain different properties of charcoal,graphite &diamond. whereas they all are made up of carboon atoms
dalton's atomic theory says that atoms of different element have different masses but now even atoms of different elements can have the same mass
dalton's theory says that all atoms of an element have exactly the same mass but atoms of the same element can have slightly different masses