What are the sources of pollution ?
Pollution has greatly damaged our planet and continues to do so. There are different kinds of pollutants, each of which come from different sources. It is essential to identify the source of pollution, in order to be able to formulate a policy to eliminate it altogether.
1. Pathway of Pollutant:
2. The Source of Pollution and Its Forms
Different forms of pollutant have different properties for mobility, migration and impacts, and each of these properties vary according to the source of pollution.
2.1. The Source of Pollution: Solid Pollutants
2.2. The Source of Pollution: Liquid Pollutants
2.3. The Source of Pollution: Gaseous Pollutants
Sources of water pollution -
- Sewage water from houses.
- Gutter water when mixed with drinking water causes pollution.
- Human excreta also causes water pollution.
- Cow dung, etc..cause pollution as well as diseases.
Sources of air pollution -
- Carbon - di - oxide released from the combustion of fossil fuels.
- Nitrogen oxides released from the burning of fuels.
- Sulphur dioxide released from industries.
- Suspended particulate matter
Sources of sound pollution -
- Sounds of vehicles.
- Sounds of bursting crackers and explosives
- Sounds of loud speakers, TV's, transistors........
- Sounds of kitchen appliances.
Sources of soil pollution -
- Acid rain
- Over application of pesticides and chemical fertilizers.
- Runoff from pollutants (paint, chemicals, rotting organic material) leaching out of landfill
- Polluted water discharged from factories