what were the drawbacks of Daltons atomic theory?
Drawbacks of Dalton's Atomic Theory:
- The atom is further subdivided into protons, neutrons and electrons.
- The atoms of same elements are not similar in all respect. They may vary in mass and density. These are known as isotopes. For example: chlorine has two isotopes having mass numbers 35 a.m.u and 37 a.m.u.
- Atoms of different elements are not different in all respects. Atoms of different elements that have the same atomic mass are called isobar.
- According to Dalton atoms of different elements combine in simple whole number ratio to form compounds. This is not seen in complex organic compounds like sugar C12H22O11.
- The theory fails to explain the existence of allotropes.
Hope it is clear to you.
1. Atom is no longer considered as the smallest indivisible particle as it is made up of still smaler particles called electrons, protons and neutrons.
2. Atoms of the same element may have different masses.
3. Atoms of different elements may have same masses.
4. Substances made up of the same kind of atoms may have different properties.
5. The ratio in which the different atoms combine to form compound may be fixed and integral but may not be simple.
Hope it will help u.
drawbacks of dalton's atomic theory are-
1. the atoms werethoughtto be indivisible, we know that underspecial circumstance atomscan be furthur divided into still small particles call electron, protons and neutrons.
2. dalton's atomis theory says that all the atoms of an elements have exactly the same mass. it is , however now known that atoms of the same elements can have slightly different masses.
3. dalton's atomic theory said that atoms of different element have different masses. it is , however , now known that even atoms of different elements can have the same mass.